Monday 21 January 2013

The Observer Effect or The 5:2 Effect?

Week two of the 5:2 lifestyle is complete and no weight lost this week, despite a more ‘average’ eating week, though I do feel slimmer. It will be hard to get a real indication of how much weight/inches I lose is down to the diet and what is down to exercise. I’m no stranger to exercise but I did have a month break over Christmas and I managed three sessions on the ol’ exercise DVD this week. I’m therefore hoping it is a case of muscle weighs more than fat so what I am losing is kind of balancing out on the weight side.

Once 4 weeks has past, I’ll revisit my starting stats and take my measurements again to directly compare.

Today is the most comfortable & least hungry I’ve felt so far on a fast day. Sometimes, it feels too easy and I wonder if I should really be having this many calories on my fast day. I know, madness! I could drop it to 400 and still be meeting the ‘guidelines’ as it is meant to be 400-500 calories for women but I’m going to keep it as it is for the time being and I can always drop to 400 later if it feels necessary.

I’ve started making a few observations this week but, as always, the mere act of observing could change the state so it is hard to know whether what we are noticing is actually down to 5:2, the fact we are observing/focusing on things or some other reason entirely.

I have noticed that I’m not sleeping so well & am suffering from more bouts of insomnia. When your baby is still waking up for feeds once or twice a night, this is hard!

I just can’t switch my brain off. I’ve tried meditating, visualisation, trying to drift off thinking of one topic, a whole host of things (I even considered counting sheep) but my mind keeps whirring and the minutes then hours tick on by! Could this be because my brain is becoming more active? Could that happen this quick? I’m hoping that my body will soon start to acclimatise so that, if this is anything to do with 5:2, it will sort itself out pretty soon.

Stuart has noticed an old groin injury twinging again. He remembered reading something on this when he was ill (and first found out about 5:2) about when fasting, your body goes into repair mode and can also work on old injuries, scar tissue etc so can cause some discomfort on a previously ‘healed’ injury while it repairs it further. Again, more something to keep an eye on to suss out whether this is the case. It could also just be down to the colder weather we are experiencing, which is also known to cause discomfort to old injuries. Either way, I broke my arm some years back and I have a small lump that I can feel from the outside where the bone heeled.  Although it is more something I am aware of and you wouldn’t notice it unless your attention was drawn to it and you probably had to study it somewhat, I will notice if this lump changes in size.

Stuart hasn’t noticed much weightloss overall yet, though he is lower than when he started, but he has still noticed a drop in belt buckle. If you weigh yourself frequently during the course of a week, you do notice your body fluctuate quite considerably. After only 2 weeks, its still early days to be drawing any conclusions on anything.

That said – one very noticeable difference which can definitely be attributed to 5:2 – the shopping bill has reduced somewhat! Perfect for a budget-crunching January!

No comments:

Post a Comment